Thursday, January 9, 2014

First Installment

This blog is called "Microscope Monday," but I wanted to get this blog thing off the ground before next Monday since I have no idea what I'm doing. So this is a test post [please ignore], and is a repeat of a week ago, more or less.

I recently came into possession of one of the new $100 bills. The hologram looked neat, so I decided to check it out (technically I guess this was the inspiration for MM). You can see the cotton fibers in the "currency paper" as well as some of the blue ink in first image. The hologram strip is actually woven into the paper, which I can't imagine is a terribly simple process. The hologram strip itself is apparently composed of a bunch of small (~30 micron) hexagons. Also, I'm not sure if this is technically a "hologram," but that's what I'm calling it now.

At this juncture I'm not really sure what direction I wan't to go with this blog. I enjoy seeing this kind of stuff, and I like learning about it, too. There are so many options for the content, I'm getting ahead of myself with what I'm planning for the coming weeks. That being said, I am definitely still entertaining requests.

If anyone actually reads I'd be curious to know if people are more interested in additional background information about whatever it is I'm looking at that day or the imaging methods, I think I could certainly include more informational content on top of the images...but I guess I'll wait and see how this plays out, I'm going to have fun either way.

Also, expect the format and presentation to improve over time, I have no idea whats going on with these "blogs."

Anyway, here are a couple images of the $100 bill hologram strip. Again, sorry about the formatting.

No comments:

Post a Comment