Monday, January 20, 2014

LCD Screens!

Right, let's see if I can get this out while it is still technically Monday (In the US, that is. I don't think I've really caught on overseas yet).

I was going to do a golf ball this week, but as it turns out a golf ball is not particularly interesting, and there is ample documentation of what the inside of golf balls look like out there in internet land. So, I turned to an easy second choice, LCD screens (there are also plenty of photos of this on the internet, but I took these, so they're better).

Here's a low mag image of the google maps icon on my phone. 


At low mag you can somewhat start to see the individual pixels. This is pretty common knowledge, I think, but each pixel is actually composed of a blue, red, and green subpixel. This terminology is apparently not very standardized, but that makes sense to me.

Increasing the mag revealed something kind of interesting - each subpixel is sort of an O shape. This is a Samsung Transform Ultra phone, by the way. It looks like I forgot to upload the Iphone photos, but if you google "Iphone LCD screen pixels", you should find something...


I'm wasn't able to come up with much about the O shaped subpixels and the other screens I looked at have solid pixels, which makes a lot more sense to me. The screen for a Canon point and shoot camera is shown below (different mag, so don't compare pixel size without taking the scale bar into account). The chevron orientation of the subpixels increases the allowable viewing angle of the screen somehow. There's a paper out there explaining how, but it was way over my head, sorry folks.


Now since my job is in failure analysis I'm going to include a bonus image of two intersecting scratches in the glass on my phone that I took while I was looking at the screens, because I think it looks awesome. Someone requested broken glass, so that might be on the horizon here soon.


That'll do it for this week, I got some honeycomb and dead bees from a beekeeper friend of mine, so hopefully I'll find something interesting there. As always, suggestions are welcome. Peace.

1 comment:

  1. I think I technically count as overseas.... I'm from OSU, but in Melbourne for the time being

    ReplyDelete